asher

asher

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Car Seat ENVY

I dont think to many can understand how badly i wanted to use my car seat.

I had pondered at target over car seats, and stood in that section for what seemed like hours, it especially seemed like hours to my swollen over worked ankles.
Finally I picked it!!!
My choice was brave, and the car seat stayed in the box for a looooong time. The car seat was NOT in the car on the way to deliver Asher.

Over the weeks that turned into months I would watch patients come, go, and then come back again to visit the staff ,, always in a car seat.
I would see parents walking into the hospital with an empty car seat, and walking out with a baby cuddled up snug and safe-going home.
Every morning I would walk into the hospital-no car seat, at night walk out-no car seat.
My hand yearned to hold the handle of my beautiful car seat, with Asher safely strapped in.

The days ticked, and I grew more anxious for my turn... I wanted a tee shirt, that said I JUST HAD A BABY, BUT CANT KEEP HIM WITH ME!
It bothered me, I was fat, and for all anyone knew just needed to hit the gym-why??? NO CAR SEAT. I cried aloooot, for all anyone knew i was just an emotional lady-why?? NO CAR SEAT.
Unless someone knew me they had no idea I had a baby. I never carried my car seat with Asher in it, it was like I had no proof to show the world he was born, and I HATED THAT.

I started feeling sorry for myself, thinking I DESERVE THE FREAKIN CARSEAT!
I was pregnant for petes sake,,, i threw up for months, gained 55 pounds,got stretchmarks, stopped my running, slept all the time, was unable to work, gave myself lovenox shots ( well wallace actually enjoyed stabbing me daily (: lol), had a C-section.
I deserved it, Right???

Then one day, in a room close to Asher's the battle for life was lost, and a mom walked out the hospital doors for the last time with no car seat-no baby, and part of herself missing.
Her hands hung low, her eyes tired, her body weak, her daughter dead, no car seat.

My envy disappeared. I realized my day of taking Asher home in a car seat was still a possibility, there was still hope.
I needed to be patient to wait on God, to be thankful I hadn't been the one to make that last walk down the hall, but to have compassion, and pray for that woman that did, she never got to carry her car seat.

1 comment:

  1. If we only opened our eyes and our hearts, we couldn't help but be humbled daily. Thanking God that the time for your carseat came, in His good and perfect time....
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete