asher

asher

Monday, April 26, 2010

A Nerd Saved My World

Athletes save the weekends ( from boredom) and nerds save the world.

From the moment I found out I was pregnant I wanted a boy.
Not only did I want a boy I just KNEW I was having a boy.

Every since I can remember sports have been a major part of my life.
My Dad is a jock, and grew up playing football. When I was young he coached football, and wrestling for the local high school.
I think my dad probably would have liked having at least one boy, but he got three girls(: with me being the oldest.

Growing up I enjoyed being active, although coordination wasn't my friend. Tried out for softball in elementary school, could hit, run fast, but couldn't catch,, should rephrase that WOULD NOT CATCH the ball, would run, or duck down - very afraid of getting hit in the face.

My freshman year of high school I ran track, ran fast, and running fast was very easy it took no special coordination, or bravery, and kept my attention because the race would be over in a few seconds. Track was MY sport.
My husband grew up playing baseball, very good pitcher, and as an adult is a very, very good golfer.
We love sports, and we love watching sports together, football,, basketball, and when I have lost full control of the remote, golf. (:

You better believe when we found out we were having a boy his athletic future was mapped out!
Genetically this boy would be unstoppable ( like a little superman) tall, fast, and thanks to wallace coordinated.
I couldn't stop talking about the runs we would go on, baseball camp, golf lessons it was just so exciting!
Then came the news HLHS???? Missing left ventricle????
Wallace asked the question,,,, I already knew...
The Dr. explained no football, maybe baseball, but def wont play at any level higher then high school, if he made it to high school.
It became obvious really fast that sports were the last thing this Dr. was thinking about, and really living was going to be the real challenge for our son.
Months later sports were the last thing on our mind, and making it to tomorrow was all that mattered.

The day after Asher's first open heart surgery ( norwood stage ) he went into cardiac arrest, his heart stopped.
Wallace, and I were bedside, cheerful that he had made it through the night with no issues, the first night after surgery is the test,,, bad stuff usually happens during that time, meds adjusted the body gets used to its new circulation.
The code happened fast alarms went off the nurse moved fast, the DR. happened to be in the hall, and came running.
I backed away from the isolette,, trying to make room there were so many people running in, and moving like lightening.
My eyes locked on my son,,, Asher for a moment opened his eyes,,, I saw fear, and panic, it was a look I will never in my life forget.
I screamed, and ran,, ran fast down the hall. I screamed out of hurt, and ran because I didn't want my emotion to disrupt the Dr. he needed to concentrate on saving Asher.
I thought Asher was going to die.
I sat crying,,, the left side of my body numb, couldn't breathe, couldn't do anything but look at wallace, my jaw clenched,,, we waited.
The nurse came to find us,, i fully expected to hear the worst.
Then she said, " he is ok, he just got a bit dry, and crashed." WOW!!
Then the Dr. came in,, he sat down and explained what happened.
As he talked he took his wire rimmed glasses off, and wiped them with his shirt, he was a bit out of breath, and his cheeks were pink.
He told us we could come see Asher, we followed him back to the room, and stood over Asher as he explained what was going on, and what they would be watching for in the next few hours.

Over the months we were at the hospital I got to know this Dr... in fact Wallace helped him out at a golf tournament ( apparently this Dr is not the best golfer (: )
He is however one of the smartest people I have ever known. He considers himself to be a nerd, and told me he has never been good at sports.
He told me he thinks Asher will be a nerd, maybe a doctor, and when he said this he seemed proud, like they were little comrades, and had this bond, like Asher could be part of his group.

I don't know what Asher will, or will not be physically capable of, but I know I will love and support him in whatever adventure he chooses, whether he chose to compete in chess, play for the NFL, or be a Dr. like the one that saved him that day.

That Dr is a total nerd, but he the amazing nerd that saved my world. He is, and will always be a hero to my family,, he is known at the hospital as the King of the Code, the one you want if your child is trying to die.. he is the man with the wire rimmed glasses, horrible golf game, and a memory like that i have never before seen,,he is the man that saved my son.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL, Charity. I am tearing up. These people are all miracle workers. I wish your "nerd" had been around the night we lost Luke! Take care of yourself!

    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charity, I have goosebumps all over my body! You are a beautiful writer telling one hell of a story! God picked you to be Ashers Mom for a reason!
    Love you and your little man!

    ReplyDelete